Yoga Teacher and Entrepreneur
Founder, The Yoga Mile
Silky has been practicing yoga since the age of 12. Having been initiated into various naturopathy and Hatha yoga techniques at a very young age, she shares a special bond with this ancient science of self-development and self-actualization. Her childhood was spent practicing various Shatkriyas and yoga techniques and reading yoga literature in various books from her father’s collection. The regular practice of yoga throughout her student life and work life kept strengthening her faith in this science and supported her stellar academic and extra-curricular track record.
After working for a few years in an IT product company, she decided to enter yoga professionally. She realized the need for knowing and understanding yoga at a much deeper level but was wary of the superficial yoga education institutions and waited for a couple of years before identifying the right institute to study in. Finally she underwent a two-year long Advanced Teachers’ Training Course at the world’s oldest yoga center, The Yoga Institute, Santacruz, Mumbai. Now, having left her job, she spends her time focusing further on her practice and contributing to the preservation, interpretation and practice of authentic yoga system of India. She also continues her association with The Yoga Institute, Santacruz, as its life-long student.
Silky practices and teaches classical yoga which is based on the principles of Rishi Patanjali’s Ashtanga Yoga and Hatha Yoga texts. She believes in retaining the essence of the traditional yoga practices and feels that classical yoga nurtures a human being like a mother nurtures a new born child. She likes to incorporate yoga thinking in all her practice sessions and feels that practicing yoga techniques without appreciating and knowing the higher purpose behind them is like having a pizza without the toppings!
Favourite Yoga Sutra
Nimittam Aprayojakam Prakritinam Varana Bhedas Tu Tataha Kshetrikavat
Prakriti or nature is not influenced by mere accidental causes, but by breaking through the barriers as a farmer may, to grow his crop!
- Regular Classical Yoga Sessions: At The Yoga Mile Studios in Andheri East and Chandivali
- Yoga teacher at The Yoga Institute, Santacruz, Mumbai
- Corporate Workshops with various organizations such as The Glitch, Zoetis, TCS, Deloitte, BARC (Broadcast Audience Research Council), Marketcity Resources Pvt. Ltd., Harmony Distributors Pvt. Ltd.
- Yoga for an exclusive group of women as part of NGO Rangoonwala Foundation (India) Trust
- Yoga In Educational Institutions: Prabhavati Padamshi Soni International Junior College, Prahladrai Dalmia Lions College, Jamnabai Narsee School
- Certified QCI Level 2 “Yoga Teacher” by Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India, 2018
- THE INTEGRAL MIND: Second Degree of REIKI through the Usui System of Natural Healing, 2018
- TOUCH PERFECTION: First Degree of REIKI through the Usui System of Natural Healing, 2018
- 2 Year TTC (900 hours), The Yoga Institute, Mumbai, 2015-17
- MBA, Communications, MICA, Ahmedabad, 2011-13
- B.A., Mass Communications, Loyola Academy, Secunderabad, 2007-10
Silky loves various creative pursuits such as dance, painting, dramatics and poetry. She enjoys working on these at her free time. Some of her indulgences are recorded here.
Silky can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.